Calvados 45 ans
A.O.C. Calvados du Pays d'Auge
Calvados 45 ans has been aged for at least 45 years in a wooden vat and toasted oak barrels.
- Clay and Oxfordian marl soil.
- 80% of bittersweet apples
20% of acid apples
- from September to November
- Alcohol cont.
- 41 % vol.
The apples are mixed, crushed and pressed. The apple juice is fermented right out to give cider to be distilled. Double distillation is carried out 6 months after the fermentation has taken place. The first distillation gives the "petite eau" at 30% by volume and it is the second distillation, that of the "petite eau" which gives the Calvados.
Aging: Forty five years minimum. In toasted 1200 litre (264 imp gallon) and subsequently 400 litre (88 imp gallon) oak barrels. Bottled when ordered.
Eyes: Blonde mahogany colour. Clear.
Nose: Intense and persistent. Hints of caramelised apples, geranium and liquorice are present.
Mouth: Intense, elegant, and pervasive. Persistent and present at the back of the nose. Aromas of almond and spices.
(Read also: Tasting Calvados)
- Storage: very long, bottles upright without special precautions.
- As a Digestive: Drinking temperature 20-22°C (68 to 72°F). Will go well with a powerful cigar. The end of the glass shows complex, powerful aromas.
Bottle type: 70 cl