A.O.C. Calvados du Pays d'Auge
Calvados Fine has aged 2 years in oak barrels, with 50% of new oak.
- Clay and Oxfordian marl soil.
- 80% of bittersweet apples
20% of acid apples
- from September to November
- Alcohol cont.
- 40 % vol.
The apples are mixed, crushed and pressed. The apple juice is fermented right out to give cider to be distilled. Double distillation is carried out 6 months after the fermentation has taken place. The first distillation gives the "petite eau" at 30% by volume and it is the second distillation, that of the "petite eau" which gives the Calvados.
Aging: Two years minimum. In toasted 400 l (88 imperial gallon) oak barrels, 50% of which are new. Bottled when ordered.
Eyes: Golden yellow. Clear and brilliant
Nose: fine, complex, very intense. Aromas of apple, pear, vanilla and citrus with earthy hints .
Mouth: Round and fresh. Shows fruity aromas, of vanilla and dried fruits. A well integrated whole with good intensity.
(Read also: Tasting Calvados)
- Storage: very long, bottles upright without special precautions.
- As an Aperitif: on its own, over ice, or with a drop or two of water to let it release its aromas.
- For Cooking: to flambé, and for sorbets and granités.
- As a Digestive: Drinking temperature 20-22°C (68 to 72°F). Must be given time to breathe. Very gastronomic. Accompanies dark chocolate and fine cigars.
Press comments and Awards
2022 Spirits Selection by Concours Mondial de Bruxelles: Silver medal
Jason Wilson - Washington Post:
"My favorite affordable calvados..."
Paul Pacult's Spirit Journal : Highly recommended 4/5
Bottle types: 70 cl - 50 cl - 35 cl