A.O.C. Calvados du Pays d'Auge
Calvados Original is a "white calvados", aged for 2 years in old oak casks. Fruit forward, it is pale yellow in colour. Also available as a Spray, for cooking or cocktails.
- Clay and Oxfordian marl soil.
- 80% of bittersweet apples
20% of acid apples
- from September to November
- Alcohol cont.
- 40% vol.
The apples are mixed, crushed and pressed. The apple juice is fermented right out to give cider to be distilled. Double distillation is carried out 6 months after the fermentation has taken place. The first distillation gives the "petite eau" at 30% by volume and it is the second distillation, that of the "petite eau" which gives the Calvados.
At least 2 years. In 2000 to 3000 litre (440 to 660 imperial gallons) vats followed by 400 litre (88 imp gallons) toasted oak barrels, whose tannins have been exhausted, to allow the calvados to keep its original aromas of fruit. Bottled when ordered.
Eyes: Water white with very pale hints
of yellow. Clear and brillant.
Nose: Powerful, fine, fresh and very complex for a Calvados of only this age, fruit at first then floral. The aromas of green apple and citrus predominate, with hints of cherry and floral notes.
Mouth: Fresh attack, supple and round in the mouth, consistent, shows long and intense in retro-olfaction.
(Read also: Tasting Calvados)
- Storage: very long, bottles upright without special precautions.
- As an Aperitif: on its own, over ice or with a drop or two of water. A very good eau-de-vie base for cocktails.
- With Food: Serve ice cold with marinated or smoked fish.
- With the Dessert: With dark chocolate cakes and apple sorbets.
Bottle types: 150 cl - 70 cl - 50 cl - 35 cl - Spray