Calvados XO has aged 6 years in oak barrels, with 25% of new oak (XO = eXtra Old).
- Clay and Oxfordian marl soil.
- 80% of bittersweet apples
20% of acid apples
- from September to November
- Alcohol cont.
- 42 % vol.
The apples are mixed, crushed and pressed. The apple juice is fermented right out to give cider to be distilled. Double distillation is carried out one month after the fermentation has taken place. The first distillation gives the "petite eau" at 30% by volume and it is the second distillation, that of the "petite eau" which gives the Calvados.
Aging: Six years minimum.
Eyes: Golden, golden yellow glint.
Nose: Slightly oaky, rich and complex, pastry, apple pie.
Mouth: Sweet and nicely composed attack. Very quaffable, stewed aromas of baked apple.
(Read also: Tasting Calvados)
- Storage: very long, upright without special precautions.
- As a Digestive: Drinking temperature 20-22°C (68 to 72°F) with a pudding, or a light cigar.
Bottle type: Carafe 70 CL