Calvados XO has aged 6 years in oak barrels, with 25% of new oak (XO = eXtra Old).
- Clay and Oxfordian marl soil.
- 80% of bittersweet apples
20% of acid apples
- from September to November
- Alcohol cont.
- 42 % vol.
The apples are mixed, crushed and pressed. The apple juice is fermented right out to give cider to be distilled. Double distillation is carried out 6 months after the fermentation has taken place. The first distillation gives the "petite eau" at 30% by volume and it is the second distillation, that of the "petite eau" which gives the Calvados.
Aging: Six years minimum.
Eyes: Golden, golden yellow glint.
Nose: Slightly oaky, rich and complex, pastry, apple pie.
Mouth: Sweet and nicely composed attack. Very quaffable, stewed aromas of baked apple.
(Read also: Tasting Calvados)
- Storage: very long, upright without special precautions.
- As a Digestive: Drinking temperature 20-22°C (68 to 72°F) with a pudding, or a light cigar.
Bottle type: Carafe 70 CL