Calvados 30 ans non-réduit
A.O.C. Calvados du Pays d'Auge
Calvados 30 ans non réduit (= "30 years unreduced") is a strong calvados: it is bottled at cask strength, with neither dilution nor cold filtration. It has been treated in such a way as to maximise its concentration and complexity.
- Clay and Oxfordian marl soil.
- 80% of bittersweet apples
20% of acid apples
- from September to November
- Alcohol cont.
- 50 % vol.
The apples are mixed, crushed and pressed. The apple juice is fermented right out to give cider to be distilled. Double distillation is carried out 6 months after the fermentation has taken place. The first distillation gives the "petite eau" at 30% by volume and it is the second distillation, that of the "petite eau" which gives the Calvados.
Aging: Thirty years minimum. In toasted 1200L (264 imp gallon) and then 400L (88 imp gallon) oak barrels. This Calvados was neither reduced (no water is added) nor filtered after cold stabilization. Bottled when ordered.
Eyes: Colour Mahogany. Very slightly hazy,
Nose: Powerful, intense, sweet. Spices and caramelised apple.
Mouth: Powerful, intense and elegant. Spices and caramelised apple in the mouth. Bitterness and earthy hints.
(Read also: Tasting Calvados)
- Storage: very long, bottles upright.
- As a Digestive: Drinking temperature 20-22°C (68 to 72°F). Very suitable for lovers of fine eaux-de-vie, dark chocolate and powerful cigars. The lack of dilution gives it a unique intensity both on the nose and in the mouth. As this calvados was not cold filtered, a light deposit can appear.
Bottle types: 70 cl - 35 cl